Make Your Own Erupting Volcano!
This is a classic experiment and it is very easy to do at home. So after you watch it - TRY IT! All you need is some kind of volcano that you can make, and then a little vinegar and some baking soda from the supermarket. This demonstration shows an acid base reaction. In this kind of reaction, the acid (vinegar) chemically reacts with the base (the baking soda) and the two release carbon dioxide gas which bubbles out. The liquid soap helps to make foamy lava that flows.
YOU WILL NEED:
- A volcano - Talk to an art teacher about making a volcano out of paper mache or plaster. You can also use clay or if you're in a hurry to make your volcano, use a mound of dirt outside.
- A container that 35mm film comes in or similar size container.
- Red and yellow food coloring (optional)
- Liquid dish washing soap
WHAT TO DO:
1. Go outside or prepare for some clean-up inside
2. Put the container into the volcano at the top
3. Add two spoonfuls of baking soda
4. Add about a spoonful of dish soap
5. Add about 5 drops each of the red and yellow food coloring
Now for the eruption!:
6. Add about an ounce of the vinegar into the container and watch what your volcano come alive.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.