Make Your Own Erupting Volcano!
This is a classic experiment and it is very easy to do at home. So after you watch it - TRY IT! All you need is some kind of volcano that you can make, and then a little vinegar and some baking soda from the supermarket. This demonstration shows an acid base reaction. In this kind of reaction, the acid (vinegar) chemically reacts with the base (the baking soda) and the two release carbon dioxide gas which bubbles out. The liquid soap helps to make foamy lava that flows.
YOU WILL NEED:
- A volcano - Talk to an art teacher about making a volcano out of paper mache or plaster. You can also use clay or if you're in a hurry to make your volcano, use a mound of dirt outside.
- A container that 35mm film comes in or similar size container.
- Red and yellow food coloring (optional)
- Liquid dish washing soap
WHAT TO DO:
1. Go outside or prepare for some clean-up inside
2. Put the container into the volcano at the top
3. Add two spoonfuls of baking soda
4. Add about a spoonful of dish soap
5. Add about 5 drops each of the red and yellow food coloring
Now for the eruption!:
6. Add about an ounce of the vinegar into the container and watch what your volcano come alive.
It’s Cyber Monday on WonderHowTo! Don’t miss out on all the big sales in the Gadget Hacks shop and Null Byte shop. Use code CMSAVE20 to save on everything, and use CMSAVE40 for all things apps and software. For online courses, apply code CMSAVE70 for the biggest discounts.