Find out how everything in a chemistry lab works, from pipettes to burners to recrystallization to storage. You'll get precise instructions on how to work and perform certain scientific duties in the chem lab, whether it's chemical or just ordinary high school science.
Watch this video on how to perform paper chromatography in the chemistry lab. As an example of how to operate paper chromatography, the movie explains the analysis of Methyl Red and Methyl Orange (developing solvent: isobutyl alcohol (1), concentrated ammonia (1), and distilled water (50)).
In paper chromatography, the filter paper serves as the stationary phase and support. The sample moves along with the developing solvent when the edge of filter paper is soaked into the solvent. Separation of the compounds takes place depending on their motilities.
Under fixed conditions including the stationary phase, the developing solvent, and temperature, the Rf value generally remains constant. Accordingly, the analytes are identified based on their Rf values as well as the shapes and colors of the spots.
Do not spot too much sample at once on a filter paper because a large spot gives improper results. Keep the filter paper clean by handling its end and putting on a clean paper.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades