Do you want to create your own underwater adventure? Then let the A-TV science squad show you how to make the coolest underwater vessle around. You'll be the captain of your own submarine in no time!
For this experiment, you'll need the following materials:
2 wide rubber bands
large clear bowl
12 oz plastic soda bottle
flexi drinking straw
1. The first thing you need to do is cut 3 small holes out in the bottom of your sub. On one side of your bottle, take a marker and make 3 dots at least 1 ½ inches apart. Cut out a small circle where each dot is.
2. The next step is attaching the coins to our bottles. The first thing you should do is tape your coins together in groups of 4. Once your coins are taped together, take your rubberbands and attach the 4-quarters just below the hole that is closest to the bottom of the bottle and attach the nickels just underneath the hole closest to the top of the bottle.
3. The next thing we need to do is attach a straw to the bottle top with clay. Place the short end of the flexible straw in the bottle and then take your clay and mold it all around the top of the bottle and the straw. Make sure there are no gaps for water to get in.
4. Now that our straws are securely attached to our submarines it's time to submerge them.
5. Place your submarine in the bowl and let it fill with water. Your sub should be lying on the bottom of the bowl with the straw sticking out of the water. Now that your submarine is completely under water, blow into your straw. The water blows out of the bottle and the sub will rise.
Remember that you should always work under adult supervision whenever you conduct experiments.
Have an iPhone? Check out all 200+ new features coming in iOS 13.