The term "Thermite" refers to the mixture of aluminum and ferric oxide used in this experiment. It is sold commercially and is used for such applications as railroad welding and incendiary bombs.
Rust and aluminum are combined and ignited with a magnesium ribbon. Molten iron is produced and lots of energy is released.
This demonstration produces heat at above 2800F or 1500C.
Fe2O3 + 2 Al --> Al2O3 + 2 Fe
SAFETY - This is an extremely DANGEROUS reaction and should only be done by trained professionals. Since YOU are not a trained professional DON'T try it.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades