C For Chemistry delves into the chemistry of science experiments. This chemist knows what he's talking about. These chemistry experiments are not only fun, but very educational for all of those interested in scientific chemical reactions and properties.
This video tutorial will show you how to make thunder in a test tube with ethanol and acetone.
1. Add concentrated sulfuric acid to a test tube.
2. Add acetone or ethanol on top of sulfuric acid and prevent them from mixing.
3. Add a small amount of potassium permanganate and switch off the light.
4. Wait and see the result!
CHEMISTRY OF IT:
This reaction is called "Thunder in a Test Tube", sometimes "Test Tube Thunderstorm", simply because internal combustions of ethanol, acetone (or other similar flammable organic liquid), producing sound, light similar to that of lightning, and the unexpected result of it.
Check out more of C for Chemistry science videos on WonderHowTo.
Music: Thinking Out Loud by Kevin MacLeod @ Incompetech
Licensed under Creative Commons "Attribution 3.0"
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades