The Department of Biological Sciences at the University of Alberta brings you this video tutorial specifically relevant to your student laboratory courses, specifically microbiology. If you're a student at any school of biology, this information will be helpful for learning how to perform agarose gel electrophoresis in the lab.
Part A: Set up the gel apparatus. Notice that we test the depth of the wells with the spacer - the small side will fit under the teeth of the comb easily while the larger side does not.
Part B: Obtain some molten agarose, swirl gently (avoid bubbles), making sure the aragose is warm to the touch but not too hot. Pour the molten agarose in apparatus, let cool.
Part C: Remove comb and put gel into the running box. Pour buffer on top of the gel.
Part D: Load samples carefully and start electrophoresis.
Part E: Notice how the dye has been separated into three bands. In this experiment, the direction of travel was from right (the cathode) to left (the anode).
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades