Watch this science video tutorial from Nurd Rage on how to make iodine from an alkali metal iodide, hydrochloric acid (HCI), and hydroxide peroxide (H2O2).
Warning: This reaction makes small amounts of chlorine gas and should be performed outside or in a fumehood.
This method is much cleaner than the sulfuric acid method.
Simply get some potassium or sodium iodide and dissolve in a minimal amount of water. Then add an equal amount of concentrated hydrochloric acid. Check this new volume and measure out five times more 3% hydrogen peroxide. Mix together the two solutions and let stand for ten minutes. Filter the iodine.
You can then purify by vaporization and crystallization.
Brought to you by one of WonderHowTo's favorite scientists NurdRage.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades