You've manage to get your hands on some ruthenium, and now you want to destroy the hard silvery-white metal of the transition series. Well, you're going to try all kinds of ways to dissolve this odd metal, but the only successful way to dissolve ruthenium is with a common household cleaner… bleach.
Dr. Lithium of Nurd Rage shows you how he dissolved ruthenium metal with household bleach.
He shows the element ruthenium and the interesting property that it is immune to hydrochloric acid and nitric acid. Even when combined to make the gold-dissolving acid "Aqua Regia" the element ruthenium is completely immune to it. So how do you dissolve ruthenium? Interestingly, ruthenium can be dissolved in a very simple household chemical: bleach!
This gives a glimpse into complex "rock paper scissors" game of chemistry. A substance like gold might be immune to bleach, but vulnerable to acid. While another metal, might have the opposite reactivity, being completely immune to acid, but vulnerable to bleach.
Brought to you by one of WonderHowTo's favorite scientists, NurdRage.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades