Watch this science video tutorial from Nurd Rage on how to make a complete refillable glow stick. You can make this complete and refillable glow stick with a steampunk-style to it.
The idea is simple, use compression fittings normally used in plumbing to create a glow stick tube that can be emptied and refilled when the fluid dies.
The vials or ampoules of hydrogen peroxide is created from cheap glass pipettes that are flame sealed.
An important change though is the use of diethyl phthalate solvent rather than ethyl acetate. Diethyl phthalate gives a longer lasting light. Other aliphatic dialkyl phthalates can be used including diethylhexyl phthalate so you can use whatever you have on hand.
If you're having problems with leaking be sure to use Teflon tape.
Special note: Brass is pretty hard, so if you glowstring with this and hit someone... it's going to HURT... so be careful!
Brought to you by one of WonderHowTo's favorite scientists NurdRage.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades