Watch this science video tutorial from Nurd Rage on how to make sodium silicate from drain cleaner and gel beads with Dr. Lithium.
See how to make the sodium silicate from drain cleaner and those little gel beads you find packaged with electronic items for humidity control.
The procedure is really simple, just make a solution of 10mL with 4-8grams of sodium hydroxide, use the full 8 grams if you want stoichiometric sodium silicate, and 4 grams if you want "liquid glass" solution for doing the chemical garden experiments.
Heat the solution and add in 6 grams worth of crushed silica gel beads. The finer the better. if they aren't dissolving, you might need to add more water.
Once it's dissolved, you'll have a concentrated solution of sodium silicate.
Brought to you by one of WonderHowTo's favorite scientists, NurdRage.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades